Frequently Asked Questions
The Electronic cigarette, also called an e-cigarette or e-cig, was initially designed to look like a cigarette, but with the ability to deliver nicotine without the need to burn tobacco. The technology allows people to enjoy recreational nicotine without inhaling smoke, or the 4000 chemicals that are in tobacco cigarettes.
The e-cigarette is made up of 3 parts – please refer to the diagram, which supports the explanation below:
- The battery: e-cigs use re-chargeable lithium batteries. Tucked inside the battery is a switch that is triggered when the user inhales or power is manually applied, dependent upon e-cig type. When triggered the battery sends a charge to the atomizer.
- The atomizer: This is the ‘work horse’ of the electronic cigarette. An atomizer consists simply of a heater coil which is wound around a high temperature capillary wick. The wick; dependent upon the type of atomizer will be connected to the source of fluid to provide a continuously ‘wetted wick’. When power is applied to the coil and air is drawn across the wick wound coil, the fluid soaked wick is heated, providing atomized heated vapor to the user.
- The cartridge: In its basic form the cartridge is made of a plastic tube with a molded mouthpiece and is the storage for the e-liquid. Inside some cartridge tubes the e-liquid is soaked into wadding, but for electronic cigarettes such as the Tornado Tank, the fluid is held in a sealed unit without wadding.
Electronic cigarettes are used for recreational nicotine delivery. Many users find that after trying an e-cig, they no longer enjoy the taste of tobacco cigarettes, but some do still smoke cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes have not been tested as a ‘stop-smoking’ device, and E-liquid bottling company does not promote them as such.
Making the switch from regular tobacco cigarettes to electronic cigarettes can feel a little daunting, but those who have made the switch rarely look back and here are a few reasons why:
- Smoking regular cigarettes anywhere is getting tougher by the day, but in many cases where cigarettes are banned –electronic cigarettes are allowed.
- There is no tar, no carbon monoxide or the cocktail of chemicals present when smoking a regular cigarette.
- Research is currently being undertaken, and to date e-cigarettes are proving to be a cleaner way to obtain nicotine. However this is still a new industry and more research is always welcome.
- The sensation is very similar to smoking; users experience the same warmth and the same ‘hit’ at the back of the throat.
- E-smoking is more fun – there is a sense of community amongst vapors, they are generally an enthusiastic and friendly bunch